- This event has passed.
Dakota Foundation for Jazz Education Gala
May 22, 2016 @ 4:30 pm - 8:30 pm| $45 - $50
The Dakota, Vieux Carré, and the Dakota Foundation for Jazz Education are proud to present this fundraiser on Sunday! The Dakota Foundation for Jazz Education (DFJE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing jazz and education together. Since 1997 DFJE has been providing jazz education and performance opportunities that encourage an understanding, appreciation and enthusiasm for jazz among young audiences and developing musicians.
Featured on the Vieux Carré stage will be this year’s 10th edition of the Dakota Combo, under the direction of Adam Linz. Also featured will be a special Dakota Combo Alumni band, led by Kelly Rossum. Rossum started the Dakota Combo in 2006 when he was an active member of the Twin Cities music community; he currently teaches at Christopher Newport University in Virginia, and is returning to the Twin Cities for this special event.
Peruse our silent and live auction items, which will include:
· A Double Magnum bottle of wine
· A Basket of Beers
· A bike tour of Saint Paul’s Public Art and post-tour wine and cheese
· A framed Jazz Fest poster from the 1986 New Orleans Jazz Festival
· An autographed photo of Ahmad Jamal
· Tickets and a Meet and Greet with Chick Corea and Christian McBride when they appear at the Dakota.
· Tickets and a Meet and Greet with Suzy Boguss when she appears at the Dakota.
· A Jazz Package: 3 CD set of The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings of Bill Evans; 4CD set of Latin Jazz from Concord Picante; and Living With Jazz, a Reader by noted jazz writer Dan Morgenstern.
Raffle tickets for our Wall of Wine will be available!
Special Guests will include Mayor Chris Coleman, Dakota Co-Owner Lowell Pickett, Dakota Foundation Board member Larry Englund, representatives from the Schubert Club, alumni from the Dakota Combo, and others.
Tickets are $45 for bar seats, $50 for table seats. Sponsor tables of 4 are available for $250, and includes a bottle of wine for the table. Your ticket includes a welcome drink from Prairie Vodka.